Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hope

I have been learning a lot lately about trusting God. To really trust Him with the deep things of my heart. It's easy for me to trust Him with things like finances and future plans. I know He is a Father that provides and I've experienced those provisions. But when it comes to my desires and the things of my heart, it's hard to trust because there is a risk of being disappointed and I don't want to get hurt or let down. When I don't trust Him with my heart, I don't hope in Him either. Hope and trust go hand in hand.

God has been in a persistant pursuit of my heart. He wants the whole thing, not just bits and pieces. In 2008, I remember during one of my quiet times with Him He asked me if I trusted Him. I said, "Yes, of course." Then He asked, "Do you believe you can trust me with your heart?" I wanted to say, yes, but was more hesitant. Then, this past December while in Thailand I got a word through someone. They said I have a sweet relationship with God, but He wants more of my heart. He's been after it for 3 years now (probably longer).  He wants me to trust Him with my hopes, my dreams, and my desires and I can because He has put them in me and He is good.

I read this verse today, "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope" Psalm 130:5. What does it really mean to hope in His word? I always thought of hoping in the promises that He made in the Bible and that's true, but I think it's deeper than that. I looked up what "word" meant in Hebrew and it means "speech, sayings, utterances, or words." It clicked with me when I read that because that means that the things He speaks to us personally are His words and we can hope in that!

God is a Man of His word and will keep His promises. I have to keep reminding myself of that.


I will end with a little food for thought from, Amy Carmichael.


"It is a safe thing to trust Him to fulfill the desires which He creates."




No comments:

Post a Comment